Established in 2005 in The Hague, the goal of HRDiplomacy is to help ensure a safe working environment for human rights defenders (HRDs). HRDiplomacy pursues this goal by:
- Designing and facilitating workshops involving human rights defenders and diplomats, aimed at increasing diplomats' support for human rights defenders; workshop design and facilitation in general, especially for strategizing and exchanging experience.
- Evaluations of human rights programmes and campaigns and programmes to support human rights activists or civil society organizations focusing on impact assessment, results indicators, the theory of change and recommendations for improvement. Evaluating alone or leading or participating in a team.
- Manuals and handbooks for human rights defenders on EU advocacy, especially how to get support and protection from the EU and EU member states, and on how to organize and conduct workshops involving HRDs and diplomats.
- Developing tools for diplomats to use in supporting HRDs through trial attendance, meetings with government authorities, etc.; conducting workshops with diplomats to discuss and practice using these tools.
- Designing and conducting training of trainers on doing advocacy towards the EU. Training HRDs on protection policies of the EU and a number of individual countries and on how they can practically go about getting support.
- Research and advice on business and human rights.
"...thank you very much for all the work you have been doing, I have learned a lot from it." - the human rights specialist at a European embassy in Cairo, July 2022.
"The...workshop provided an excellent opportunity for networking and learning about each other's needs." - European Union, EU Annual Report on Human Rights and Democracy in the World 2018, in relation to a workshop in Moscow involving diplomats and Russian human rights defenders facilitated by HRDiplomacy.